Some of the most common questions asked
We can’t always promise clear skies but, with your help, we can guarantee a clear conscience.
- Diving and snorkeling conditions in the Dampier Strait are good all year round. The climate of Papua has diffuse seasons with no particular dry or rainy season.
- The summer months are windier, which can make the sea choppy but only on the surface, it does not interfere with diving. On the contrary: visibility tends to be the best during this time of the year.
- Prime season is October to April. Visibility tends to be influenced by high plankton concentrations which guarantee massive pelagic encounters.
- Being located that close to the equator and protected by several mountains island masses, we have a kind of micro climate. High humidity and occasional tropical rainfall showers are the standard.
- Water temperature is a constant 28 or 29 degrees celcius.
- Because of our protected location we can operate all year around.
The “accommodation only” package includes:
- For stays of 7, 10, 14, 17, 21 nights:
- Scheduled boat transfers between Sorong and the resort
- Fullboard (3 meals, snacks and fruits, tea, coffee, drinking water)
- Wi-Fi access from rooms and lounges (250MB per week for Kri Eco and unlimited for Sorido Bay)
- Laundry service
- Registration with the tourism office for West-Papua: please bring 3 copies of your passport and 3 passport photos
- Government taxes
The “unlimited diving” package includes:
- all of the above
- weights and belt
- dive cylinders
- Nitrox (For certified Enriched Air divers – PADI Nitrox courses are available at the resort)
- 4 guided boat dives per day (except Friday night and Saturdays)
- Unlimited jetty dives every day (unguided/Buddy team required)
The packages do not include:
- International and domestic flights, airport taxes, transit hotel (if needed), visa and excess luggage charges
- Rental dive equipment (limited rental stock: please be sure to book in advance to avoid disappointment)
- For your own comfort we recommend to bring your own soft-gear: wetsuit, mask, snorkel, fins, booties
- Marine Park Fees
- Canned- and alcoholic drinks
- Excursions and specialized services
We like to extend your bottom time at no charge.
Free Nitrox available for certified Enriched Air Divers – PADI Nitrox courses are available at the resort
Anytime you can go snorkel, kayak or explore the island walking.
For all non diving guests, there’s plenty of fantastic snorkelling around. Just some fin kicks off the shore you can discover the beauty of our reefs. Even just off our Jetty you can see Bluespotted Stingrays, Turtles, Crocodile Fish, Black Tip Reef sharks, Batfish, huge school of Jackfish and sometimes even a school of Bumphead Parrot Fish.
If you like and space permits you can also join the dive boat to snorkel other places nearby. Therefore we do have special guided snorkeling packages available.
However not all dive sites are suitable for snorkeling too.
If you need to rent an ABC set we can provide it to you. Please note our supplies are limited, so we kindly ask you to inform us upfront about your needs. We highly recommend to bring your own set to which you are accustomed to already.
On Saturdays (also on any other day of the week upon request) we also offer a small bird-watching trip. If the weather permits we do a hike (30 minutes) to see the Red bird of paradise which is endemic to the Raja Ampat. This trip is free from our side (free boat transfer to starting point of the start of the 30 minute hike to the birding location) however each participant is required to pay a Rp. 200,000. (about 22 – 23 US$ or Euro 17) donation fee to protect this birds and assist in children health care initiative.
A jungle trek will reveal lush pristine jungle rainforest. Bird lovers will love the incredible early morning sounds, and find some spots to do see some Cockatoos, Parrots, Lorikeets, Kingfishers, Kookaburras … to name a few. Upon special request we can also organize a half-day bird-watching trip to the island of Waigeo to see the Wilson’s bird of paradise.
At low tide you can walk along the long beach of Kri Island or of course just relax and enjoy true serenity. Or take the kayak to some remote sandbanks and beaches surrounding the island …
Yes, but we just ask one thing: please don’t check your work email!
Don’t forget you are on a holiday. WiFi Internet access is available from lounge areas and guest rooms to keep in touch with you loved ones at home.
Given our location the satellite connection does not deliver broadband speeds but is suitable for email and occasional web access. Downloading of movies or sending large files is not practical. If you wish to have a faster internet connection, we recommend to buy a TELKOMSEL sim card, and also buy data for it, which has a much faster internet connection using 3G/4G. Our connection is usually reliable but we cannot guarantee the service. There’s also a computer with Internet access available at each resort should you wish to check your email but not have your own device. You can also have friends and family email Papua Diving at “email@example.com” and our staff will forward any messages to you.
Our tanks are normally fitted with an INT/A-clamp valves so if you have an adapter please bring it along as we have a limited amount of adapters available.
As of 2007, Raja Ampat uses a tag system to support Marine Protected Areas and community projects. All visitors, divers or non-divers, are required to purchase a
tag which is valid for one calendar year. The cost is 1 000 000 Rupiah (approx. 70 euro) for foreign nationals. Children 12 years and younger are exempt from paying the fee. We do provide you with such waterproof plastic tags and payment receipt upon arrival and check in at the resort.
Please see our courses page here.
The Refresher is ideal if you have had a short break from diving or if you are a newly qualified diver that has not been diving for a few months. It allows you to recollect your skills and theory and promotes your safety as a diver.
At the cost of 50 euro, the Refresher Program will be added to any dive package of your choice.
Yes, you will.
Staying with Papua Diving is more than just an opportunity for an escape; it is also a direct contribution to local marine & community conservation activities. Most of the resorts was built using local materials that were bought from local villagers also offering employment to those communities at the same time. At the moment more than 89% of the staff are Papuans, many of them ex-sharkfinners and dynamite fishermen. Not only have we gone great lengths to reduce the impact of our operations, we also extended our environmental responsibility to the area surrounding our resorts. 10% of the annual profit is donated to the Raja Ampat Research and Conservation Centre (RARCC) – www.stichting-rarcc.org adjunct to Sorido Bay Resort, that has been protecting the area for over 20 years. Recent developments like the record diversity count and a visible increase of shark life state the positive effects of conservation efforts.
The Papua Diving dive resorts, Kri Eco and Sorido Bay, are situated on Kri Island which is is 75km from the port of Sorong on the northwest coast of West Papua, Indonesia.
A typically route to get there:
- Take an international flight to one of the recommended International airports in Indonesia Jakarta or Ujung Pandang (Makassar, Sulawesi),
- Connect to a domestic (Indonesian) flight to Sorong (SOQ- Domine Edward Osok airport)
- Connect to our transfer service between Sorong airport and the resort.
Our free scheduled transfer
For stays of 7, 14 and 21 nights we operate a boat transfer from Sorong to/from the Island on Sundays.
- For stays of 10 & 17 nights there are two options for the standard boat transfer, either:
- Arrive Thursday and depart Sunday, or
- Arrive Sunday and depart Wednesday
- Arrive Thursday and depart Sunday, or
Usually the boat leaves Sorong at 9:30 am arriving in the resort around 11:00 am
For all other arrival/departure days boat charter fees will apply. Arrival or departure Saturdays is not possible. See our rates.
- Your main invoice, deposit and balance are payable via Bank Transfer. Bank charges must be paid by the sender. Advise the bank to transfer the full amount, inclusive of transfer fees. Any outstanding balance will be added to the guest’s tab at the resort.
- You may also pay via Paypal (PayPal processing – a PayPal account is not required). A 3% charge applies.
- Any incidentals at the resort are payable via cash or credit card (master/visa card). A 3% charge applies for credit card processing (by Point of Sales or PayPal). We also accept cash in US$ (issued in 2006 or after) Euro/€ and IDR Rupiah.
- If you book directly with us, you will need to arrange your international flights to Jakarta, Ujung Pandang (Makassar) or Manado.
On request, we are happy to assist with booking your domestic flights with Express Air or Sriwijaya Air. A service fee of 20% applies. 30 days before departure the E-TICKETS will be sent to you via e-mail.
- You are most welcome to make alternative flight arrangements but our transfer boat times need to be met. In case of flight cancellation or major flight delays our transfer boat will not be able to wait. Late arrival guests will then require a private boat. The private boat fee should be claimed from the prearranged travel insurance. Please note: Private charters are subject to availability, especially at short notice.
To check-in for the domestic flight you have to change to Terminal 2 which takes about 15 minutes by bus or taxi. Depending on your arrival time you will have to spend some time at the airport.
We recommend guests to make use of the Saphire Lounge due to its convenient location at the arrival gate.
You will pay an entrance fee for 4 hours including food, drinks, shower and Wi-Fi. If you stay in a hotel they can arrange the transfer for you. Reservations can be made online using:
You will transit in the airport Terminal. Starbucks is open 24/7 and offers free Wi-Fi.
- You will need to arrive in Sorong on a scheduled transfer day (ex.sunday) in order to take the scheduled 09:30 am boat transfer to the island.
- At Sorong airport you will be met by our staff and you will be assisted with clearance and baggage.
- You will then be shuttled to our transfer boat to the island.
For all weekly packages (7,14,21 nights)
- Sunday morning before 9:00 am
For 10 or 17 night packages
- Thursday or Sunday before 9:00 am
Approximately 1,5 – 2,5 hrs, depending on conditions.
Keep an eye out for whales and dolphins!
Usually you arrive at the resort around 11:00 am.
If you can`t wait: ready for your first dive in the afternoon.
As a rule of thumb the boats departs Kri island 4 hours before the morning scheduled flight. Usual departure time is 7:00 am.
Our free transfer are only on specific days (see above). For all other arrival/departure days boat charter fees will apply. Arrival or departure Saturdays is not possible. See our rates.
All travelers to Indonesia must be in possession of a passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival, and have proof (tickets) of onward or return passage. A free Tourist Visa is provided to citizens of 45 countries (please check) entering Indonesia through international Airports Jakarta and Bali. At Manado Airport a Visa can only be obtained at a cost of 35US$.
We are in a very remote area.
Please read our packing guide for some tips. Please bring:
- Dive Certification card (mandatory for all divers).
- If you wish to use Nitrox, also your Nitrox certification card. (Courses available at the resorts for Non-Nitrox divers).
- Dive insurance (mandatory for all divers). Annual dive insurance policies can be purchased before your arrival. We recommend you consider the Diver Alert Network (DAN) as they are specialists in Diver safety. We can arrange DAN short term (10 or 30 day) insurance for you stay on your arrival if you prefer.
- BCD, regulator, wetsuit, torch, (mandatory) dive computer
Our rental stock is limited. Please inform us 60 days in advance if you wish to rent equipment
- Mask, Snorkel, Fins, Booties
For your own comfort we highly recommend to bring your own.
- A reef hook, if you have one
- 3 passport photos for registration and administration
- A passport valid from 6 months from the time of entry. Nationals of most countries will be granted a 30-day Visa on Arrival for 25 USD. Please be sure you have one full empty page in your passport in which to put the visa sticker. Please check latest regulations. You may be asked by Indonesian Immigration officials to show a copy of your airline ticket out of Indonesia within the 30-day period.
- Toiletries, insect repellent & medications
Eg: Broad spectrum antibiotics, painkillers, anti-diarrhoea’s, laxatives, antihistamine, decongestant, anti-biotic ointment, hydrocortisone cream, cold & flu meds, swimmer’s ear, anti-biotic ear/eye drops)
- Sun protection, hats and sunglasses. We are situated very close to the Equator
- Insect repellant & light colored clothes. Although there are very few mosquitoes on the island, Malaria is present in Papua. Take special care in the early morning and just before sunset. Long sleeves and long pants and mosquito repellent will help to protect you; common sense and normal precautions apply.
- Your favourite tipple & cigarettes. It’s very difficult (and very expensive) to get alcohol in Sorong. We encourage you to bring your favourite bottle of wine or spirits from the Duty Free shop in your home country, same goes for cigarettes.
- Good walking shoes & binoculars (especially if you want to join visit the Birds of paradise)
- Rechargeable batteries (for torches, strobes, cameras, …) Please plan carefully to minimise your rubbish. When possible, choose rechargeable batteries. We also encourage you to take them back to your home country since we try to minimise rubbish and cannot easily deposit it.
- Your dive gloves. We do follow the code of conduct for diving the area and apply a strict no glove policy, as wearing gloves will encourage your tendency to hold onto fragile reef inhabitants.
- Bath & Beach towels. We provide you with towels in your cottage & dedicated dive towels for after the dive.
- For Sorido guests: No need to bring toiletries such as Shampoo, Conditioner, Showergel & Lotion
Your safety and health are of highest importance to us
- We advise all guests to have travel insurance and for divers it is mandatory to have a dive insurance (ex. DAN), that covers emergency and medical assistance. We kindly ask you to check with your insurance company about cover.
- We are located in a remote area and your safety and health are of highest importance to us. We recommend that you take all safety precautions. Although we have emergency and first aid equipment, we aim to prevent as many accidents as possible and to minimise risk. The closest hospital is in Waisai (1h by boat), Sorong is the next closest (1-2h by boat).
- The closest hyperbaric chamber is in Malalayang Hospital, Manado. We encourage our divers to dive conservatively, and to stay safely within no-decompression diving limits.
- We do not issue refunds for unused or partially used dive packages and/or courses due to illness (e.g. ear problems). For compensation of losses due to medical or other problems outside of our control we advice claiming from your travel/dive insurance company or your travel agent.
Malaria is present in Papua, however there are only few mosquitoes on our island. Mosquito repellent is recommended at dawn and dusk and when passing through greater risk areas such as Sorong. Some malarial prophylactics cause adverse reactions to divers and also with prolonged usage. Please discuss your travel plans with your Doctor and conduct your own risk assessment.
- We advise all guests to have travel insurance.
- In case of flight cancellation or major flight delays our transfer boat will not be able to wait.
- Late arrival guests will then require a private boat.
- The private boat fee should be claimed from the prearranged travel insurance. Please note: Private charters are subject to availability, especially at short notice.
Indonesia has three Time Zones :
- Western Indonesian Time : GMT +7 (Jakarta)
- Central Indonesian Time : GMT +8 (Manado / Makassar)
- Eastern Indonesian Time : GMT +9 (Raja Ampat – Kri Island)
Please beware of those when taking domestic flights.
Any further questions?
Our staff is happy to answer your questions.
Please contact us.